Monday, March 15, 2010

Talking with native speakers

So let's just get this out here: I'm afraid of speaking with native speakers. Pretty silly for a language learner, eh?

I mean, it's so much easier to practice with other people who are learning or teach people who don't know anything about a language a couple of words. I did ok in Japan last summer, because I was forced to speak Japanese; it was a context of necessity. The people I spoke to didn't know English- or were like me, and would rather speak in Japanese than English, like I'd rather speak English than a foreign language- so I had to use the method of communication I had. 

But here in America, it's so hard, because the people I meet who are native speakers of what I want to learn can speak English already, so there's no necessity factor. And even when you say a few things in their language, they respond back in English- or at least that's how it's been the couple of times I've actually gotten up the courage to try.

I want to change this. I just don't know how. Maybe next time I talk to these friends, I can ask them to only speak in Spanish or Japanese and help me with mine. Somehow I need to make it worth it for them...I know if I really want to improve, I need to immerse myself in the language and have real conversations with people, but it's so much harder in an English environment.

Let's see what becomes of this resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment