Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dabbling in other languages

Every once in a while, I get tired of studying one of my main languages, and swing back to something else. Yesterday, it was Koine Greek. I remember when I was twelve, I decided that I would learn it. I haven't gotten much farther than knowing a few stray words and being able to read a little bit. Every once in a while, like during the summer, I get really inspired, but then it's back to where I was before in no time.

Yesterday, I was trying to think of a new pseudonym for something. I remembered the word Aeitheia, which means truth in Greek, because it sounds like a name. But I didn't want my name to just be truth, so I had to look up the word for disciple, and then find out some of the grammatical structure to figure out how to make something possessive in Greek. I find it annoying it is when people just pull things from the dictionary, but don't really get it correct, so I wanted to get it as right as possible. So in my thirty minute expedition, I found out that(as far as I can tell it) a female disciple of truth would be called 'mathetria aletheia,' or μαθήτρια ἀλήθεια in the original Greek.There is no need for a possessive.

Although this trip was an excursion outside of what I was studying, and ultimately probably won't help out with my language learning, I think it's things like these that keep me going. The wonder and excitement of figuring something out yourself. Hopefully, I can continue making puzzles out of the languages I'm really studying and thus remember them really well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment