Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Adventures in learning multiple languages

I attempted to have a conversation with another Japanese learner today, which randomly led to a lot of Spanish. I wasn't trying to think about it, trying to let it come out normally, and I just got a random mix of Japanese and Spanish. 'Sí, 分かりました。(Yes, I understood it)' and such. Maybe this is because I was trying to stop answering はい(yes) to every question- and answer in a language people understand. Whatever it was, it was pretty hilarious. But eventually,  I did work through it and when I tried to focus, then the Japanese flowed. Hopefully later, it will just come naturally.
My tongues aren't really separate- I apparently don't have them compartmentalized at all. I wonder if it is possible to have them compartmentalized- especially now for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment